Back to the Future IV ?

From movies.monstersandcritics.com

There’s a lot of talk about a fourth sequel to ‘Back to the Future’ right now, spawned from an interview supposedly run by MovieHole.net. Problem is, no one can actually find this interview anywhere on Movie Hole’s site. But usually reliable UK news source “The Guardian” says they’ve seen it, and that the interview with Michael J. Fox confirms his interest in doing more ‘Back to the Future’.

According the unconfirmable Michael J. Fox interview, the critically ill actor said he’d like to do another, but only if he can take over Christopher Lloyd’s role as the crazy, elder professor Doc Brown. “I’m 44-years-old now and I’m not interested in running around on skateboards!” he says. “I think after 1, 2 and 3 we all kind of felt we had done it. And I think if they did it again now they would do it with a younger cast and just do a different realisation of it, which would be fun.”

What’s surprising is that he’s able to appear in anything. Fox is in the midst of a difficult, ongoing battle with Parkinsons. How big a role would he be able to manage? Do we really need a fourth ‘Back to the Future’? Whether we need it or not, it’d be great to see everyone’s favorite ‘Teen Wolf’ back up on screen.

From www.cinemablend.com

In case you hadn’t heard the story being run on every website, television station, and unfunny morning deejay’s radio show about Michael J. Fox starring in a fourth Back to the Future movie is absolutely false. It’s a pile of crap.

What’s most galling about it isn’t that the story was wrong, but that the story was obviously fake right from the beginning. That didn’t seem to stop anyone from presenting it to you as truth. We didn’t run it here on Cinema Blend because it looked like exactly what it was: made up. Guess what? The sites and publications who did run the story they almost certainly knew probably wasn’t true are now reaping the benefits of monster BTTF related traffic while we sit here stewing in our moral superiority. Unread and unvisited.

It doesn’t pay to have integrity, even if like us, you only have a little.

For those of you wondering what I’m talking about, a few days ago The Guardian ran a news story quoting a supposed interview at MovieHole in which Michael J. Fox talked about doing more Back to the Future films, and what’s more Fox talked about taking over the role of Doc Brown. Of course anyone who bothered to click over to MovieHole and actually check would have discovered that no such interview existed, or if it did it sure wasn’t easily found.

No one bothered to check. Instead everyone ran with the story, re-quoting the quote at The Guardian as absolute fact. Not so surprisingly, it wasn’t.

MovieHole has come out and cleared the entire thing up. The interview The Guardian quoted was something they conducted and published several months ago. It was old material, long ago archived on their server. Bad enough that Guardian was using old news to generate fake new news, but they didn’t even quote the old interview right.

What Michael J. Fox said was that if they make another Back to the Future… he’ll be happy to watch it. He never said he’d appear in any film, let alone as Doc Brown. The Guardian and everyone who regurgitated their story conveniently left out that little fact. Here’s the full quote as properly republished by MovieHole to cut through the crap: “I think by the time we finished two and three we were all so damn tired and then Bob went on to do Forest Gump and I went on to do some television work and some other things, you know, I started my own show, Spin City. And now the only way it would work would be if I played Doc, I’m 44 years old now and I’m not interested in running around on skateboards! I think after 1,2 and 3 we all kind of felt we had done it. And I think if now they did it again they would do it with a younger cast and just do a different realization of it, which would be fun and I’m happy to watch it.”

Another example of journalists drumming up fake stories or dredging up old ones as new in order to get attention. It works. It worked this time and it’ll work again. It’s becoming an epidemic. They got your attention, they got your web traffic, and they have now converted all of that into further future popularity and extra cash. If we here at Cinema Blend were smart, we’d start making up sensationalized stories too. We be fools.