Maganga (Jungle Doctor, 1964)

@Frank_n_Furter @schramm @Pitt_Doenitz @Timo @Mondo_Boy @mondo_cane @mondoboy @anchorman
@Renato

Greetings, mondo fans!

I have come across something quite fascinating indeed for fans of the genre. I had never previously heard of Manganga (Jungle Doctors) but this documentary definitely had mondo elements to it, the narration is very condescending in tone, the cinematography at times exploitative both of the disabled and at at least one point a gratuitous shot of an African females topless breasts which the camera decides to do a jump shot towards rather unnecessarily. To my knowledge there is little available information regarding this documentary, I came across a German research paper referencing it which proclaims that the work consists of at least three different sources - including its finale, which no doubt many of you here will recognise as also appearing in Kwaheri - Vanishing Africa.

2 Mi Piace

Non sono un mondo-fans, anzi queste cazzate mi fanno schifo sinceramente.

In english: not only I am NOT a fan of mondo movies, but I also think they are basically disgusting crap.

1 Mi Piace

It was screened in 2019 by the London School of Hygiene.

It was apparently a film with scientific intent produced by a pharmaceutical company.
Of course there is no lack of exploitation elements…

You say that out of jealousy, just because you haven’t received the latest VOB yet!

2 Mi Piace

about the opening skull surgery scene from kwaheri, well, how can we say in english li mortaccissimi loro?

2 Mi Piace

I do apologise, sorry for tagging you Renato, my intentions were pure - I hope you understand!

2 Mi Piace

In around four weeks, I hope to have perhaps some more interesting elements from Kwaheri.

I’ve located some 35mm film reel elements. One is a test roll on the catamaran boat used, others are unidentified trims that may be of interest, as well as some unused footage of the Volkswagen vehicle seen in the expedition and other assorted spares / trims or unknown elements.

I hear from my contact there is also press materials and one reel of film that appears to be a home movie.

I will, as always, keep those interested informed on my findings!

1 Mi Piace